Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Skating Rink: A Parental Advisory



Last weekend my S.S. class had plans to go out to eat and then galactic (black light) bowling.  Our dinner took longer than expected (who knew dinner for 21 could be a little lengthy) and we arrived at the bowling alley to find out that there weren't enough available lanes.  If we wanted to bowl we would have to come back at 11 (yes,  that is p.m.). 

So, we decided to visit a nearby skating rink instead.  I'm not sure how long it's been since you've visited a skating rink, but they are probably pretty much just like you remember.  They could use some cleaning.  During my youth, I did most of my skating (actually rollerblading) on my grandparents' paved driveway.  I did visit a skating rink on several occasions, but my parents never used it as a night-time daycare, which is what the establishment I visited this weekend seemed to be. 

Apparently, skating rinks are THE hangout for junior high kids.  I may be wrong, but I don't think I would have ever been just dropped off at night somewhere without adult supervision at that age.  So, parents and those of you who one day plan to be parents I have a message for you.  I know kids today have more freedom and may seem older than those of us raised in say, the '80s.  They all have their own cell phones and therefore, can be easily reached at anytime.  But they still need to monitored.  Some of you will be relieved to know that most of the children were skating and hanging out with their friends, but I did see several couples sitting in dark corners.  Basically, this was like a club for pre-teens, where dancing is replaced with skating and alcohol with caffeinated beverages.  It was an interesting night to say the least.

It was actually a lot of fun and I even found $5 on the floor.  I was pretty sure it was covered in germs, but I picked it up anyway.  I sanitized it later. 

There were about 3 guys there who were skate dancing (please excuse the highly technical term).  They were really good.  Let's just say that they could dance better on skates that I can at all.  That's not saying much for their talent, but you get the picture.  I'm not sure how they could move like that.  I know I couldn't.  Of course, I felt my night was a success because I made it through without falling.    People who got too close to me made  me nervous.  Now, I can skate, but I can't stop.  So, please don't cut over in front of me.  This results in my hands making a fanning motion to hurry along potential threats.  I did have one run in with a small child.  Fortunately, he was light enough that I could keep him from falling without being pulled down myself.   

No comments:

Post a Comment