Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Little Help From My Friends

I have a friend who has told me that it is her mission to find a man for me.  She tells me that she is on the lookout for a good guy.  Her first prospect was an auditor she met at work.  Unfortunately, he had a girlfriend.  Next, she thought I should date and marry her brother-in-law.  She told me this multiple times.  I politely declined.  (Side note:  Her BIL is super sweet.  I do actually know him, but don't think that we'd be a match.)  Then, I had to answer a series of questions:

How do you feel about older guys?
(I don't think she meant just a couple of years older)

How do you feel about guys with kids? 

How do you feel about bigger guys?

A couple of weeks ago she'd found THE ONE.  She recently ran into a high school friend at a wedding in her hometown and urged me look him up on facebook.

Another friend told me once that she had a guy I could date.  He had even said that he would go to church.  Unfortunately, that didn't sound too appealing to me.  I would rather have someone who is already attending church and not just going to please me. 

Recently, I was called into my boss' office to view a male employee's info on our office intranet and asked what did I think.  I said that I didn't know.  I don't know him.  Unfortunately,  the information listed wasn't very helpful to me unless I wanted to personally contact him.  No interests.  No hobbies.  No height.  No mention of where he can be found on Sunday mornings.  These employee profiles aren't helpful at all!

Several days after this, I received a phone call from a co-worker who had just left for lunch.  She urged me and my fellow single co-worker to visit the lobby downstairs where we would find "two fine pieces of real estate."  Unfortunately, we were in the middle of some important business (deciding what to get for lunch) and the lobby was empty by the time we finally made it downstairs.

While the sudden interest in my marital status has been entertaining, I try not to show too much interest when people mention finding someone for me.  It's not that I'm uninterested.  It's just that I'm unsure of who they might "find."  I would like to think that I have high standards.  There's nothing wrong with being picky when the decision will affect the rest of your life. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't think there is anything wrong with being picky. Sometimes I think people assume just because they know a single guy you should want to date him just because yall are both single.

    ReplyDelete